Monday, March 31, 2008

WRESTLING AND I


So Floyd Mayweather took a break from boxing, and a possible Wembley rematch to outclass Ricky Hatton again, to knock out 35 stone Big Show in WWE at Florida aided by a chair and brass knuckles.


What a stupid entertainment this is parading as sport but it does bring back memories of my early years with "real" wrestling.


I'm just about old enough to remember watching, as a kid, with Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Jackie Pallo, Mick McManus, The Mighty Quinn and the bloke from Auf Wiedersen Pet in Sophia Gardens and on World of Sport.


But grew out of it before I was about 10 ... although, as the promoters were a Canton family and we had freebies, there was a (in)famous night in later years when my younger brother smashed a metal framed chair over The Mighty Quinn and cut his head getting a tad carried away leaving us to do the fastest "runner" ever.


Strangely, we never had freebies again. :>)

No comments: