Saturday, March 15, 2008

WALES' EGG CHASERS WIN BRILLIANT GRAND SLAM

Rugby passes over my head and I find myself taking less and less interest in a sport I really wasn't that interested in to start with.

Egg Chasers fret over an injured player

Maybe it's the media hype and over-proportionate coverage, maybe it's the historic way football was kept in its place (how many schools used to ban football altogther?), maybe it's the myth created that Egg Chasing is Wales' national sport when it has less clubs, less players and less spectators by a country mile compared to football, maybe it's the way half the Principality only take any interest in it once a year yet tell us what great fans they are as their own hypocrisy is lost on them and possibly because I find it such a bloody boring stop/start sport with the average game producing only a handful of minutes of action and atmosphere apparently confined to only one chant per nation (England -Swing Low, Wales - Bread of Heaven, Scotland - Flower of Scotland etc).

I even had one friend moaning this week how he hadn't been able to get a ticket for today's game and was always there for Wales egg chasers and they had gone to glory-hunters instead. 80% of Wales fans are in that category judging by club/regional rugby crowds and, besides, they were on open sale via Ticketmaster only 5 or 6 weeks back. So committed he never bothered buying one when they were easily available - that's an egg chaser for you!


The ont thing I do know is that the older I get, the less caring I get about it. I don't hate it, I just really am not bothered by it.

Anyway, it turns out Wales rugby have recovered from a truly awful World Cup last Autum to rule the Six Nations this spring. I hadn't watched any of it but was chuffed when they beat England ... don't care what the sport is, beating them is essential!

Over the past 8 weeks, they then hammered Scotland, Italy and Ireland leaving them going into today's game knowing a win would bring them the fabled Grand Slam for the second time in 4 years too, defeat would still see them Champions for this year but if they were hammered by 20 points, opponents France would nip them to the title. For a change I had passing interest, especially as I wasn't in Colchester with City but even then, I tuned in only after the missues finished watching a dvd first some half-hour into the game.

Got to say they were hugely impressive, ran out 29-12 winners and it could have been more as they took apart a very good French side in every department. A campaign in which their points difference was incredible and they were top try scorers and kings of defence, conceding a record 2 tries only in their 5 games.

Wales has gone ballistic, Cardiff will be partying like it's New Year's Eve, I watched the increasingly pointless Ant & Dec. That's what rugby means to me but well done Egg Chasers.