Saturday, March 29, 2008

EATING IN PUBS AT NIGHT - OK or NOT???

Does anyone else share my 'phobia' of sorts about eating late evening in pubs and certainly on a Friday night??

Pubs are the new restaurants of course and now a place many of us go to eat as much as have a drink but, for me, some times are taboo.

(Pic - Goscombe pub in Canton)

Take last night - the missus, still recovering from her major op, wanted to get out for a while and have something to eat. Fair enough I thought - won't be an expensive meal but maybe a decent Italian or Indian.

No, she wanted to go to a pub. My next thoughts were those pubs that aren't really pubs at all - you only go there to eat such as Toby Carvery, Harvester etc.

So we cruised around, I made suggestions and then ended up where the missus wanted to go all along. To Canton and we ended up in The Goscombe.

I like the place but I'm not overly fussed on its menu but eat there on a Friday night? Ugh! We go in - it wasn't late - but the Friday night drinking crowd are arriving. Another hint comes in the form of no menus on any table but they're at the bar and on window sills.

Our food arrives quickly - easy when the missus orders a wrap and I just have ham and chips! - but we are the only ones eating in the pub although, in fairness, a couple of others did too before we left.

I know these pubs advertise food until late and all day everyday but there does seem to be an unwritten rule that it's only for lunchtimes or early evenings really. Please tell me I'm not being stupid!

No comments: