Tuesday, August 19, 2008

BOB HUMPHRYS R.I.P.


Very saddened to hear this morning that Bob Humphys passed away last night after recently being diagnosed with cancer.

Always thought of him as a fantastic, passionate, humourous sports presenter who loved his work and life, it always so obviously showed.
Luckily enough, I got to meet and know him a few years ago. He covered all sports, a lot of it naturally being egg chasing working with Beeb Wales, but have no illusions, he was a Cardiff City fanatic.
I fondly remember meeting him and his family at the play-off final and he was as proud and passionate as any of us, he had a tear in his eye at City having such a momentous day at last after all the torture of being a Cardiff fan.

You would be unaware of this but Bob was also an avid reader, and occasional contributor, to the CardiffCity.com messageboard under the username Bluebarney.
He used to love reading my match reports and it made me proud that someone so respected for covering sport professionally took such an interest in what I did as a kind of hobby.

It probably says everything about the man that even though he knew he had a short time left with his terminal illness very recently, he was the first to contact me wishing me well, and giving me some advice, when he heard about a problem of mine just a few weeks ago.

My genuine thoughts and sincere condolences got to Bob's family, those who loved him and knew him even better than I did. I'm just honoured that I did know him.

No comments: