Thursday, January 31, 2008

REVIEW: GODSPELL at Wales Millennium Centre





I'm not really one for theatre but when an e-mail flyer passed my way last week of a "£15 for 2" offer for this production, well it's as cheap as a night at the cinema and it wins the missus around!




It wasn't the greates night to be outdoors, especially when I'm suffering from chronic bronchitis and have more coughing going on than the average funerall parlour, but I'd promised so out we went.




What followed was an enjoyable evening where I got value for my £15 and I think those paying £50 for their pair, more dedicated than myself, seemed to enjoy it too.




I suppose you should worry when the main name is Stephen Gately of Boyzone anyway but he pulled out. "Jesus" was therefore Tom Bradley, star and finalist of ITV's 'Grease is the Word' it said. Checked the boig and found out that he was botted out in Show 1!




However, after a slow start, realisation that it was a low-budget set and the show featured only 9 actors and actresses, it was very light-hearted and enjoyable. Not faithful at all the the original's production heavy religious and 70's hippy style theme, this was an upbeat modernised version. Plenty iof jokes, interaction with the audience and without being laugh out loud or riveting, there was enough to hold interest from start to finish.




Couldn't quite quite over Tom sounding as if he was doing Jesus with a Mid-Atlantic accent (the guy's from Leicester for crissakes!) and even sounding as if he was rapping at times but the cast overall were very good, some excellent singiers and, from my seat, the girls looked top totty indeed!




I suppose it was a 6/10 play but, on the whole, I enjoyed and was glad I went.








No comments: