Sunday, January 13, 2008

Gig Review: JIMMY CARR, Cardiff Wales Millennium Centre



Went along to see this show, part of Jimmy's Repeat Offender tour which started last summer and goes through to this summer, in Cardiff tonight - my first show both at the WMC and my first time seeing Jimmy live.



The WMC is a much criticised venue both for its desgin and its operating losses but, personally, I think it is a cracking arena and the mainstream shows, like this, have few difficulties selling out.



Inside the arena, the design, seating and views are all excellent - each row raised to such a level that you barely notice there is anyone in front of you.



As for Jimmy Carr, I am a big fan of the man and have watched him numerous times on tv. This was a highly entertaining show and good value too but, despite a barrage of close to the knuckle or below the wterline jokes and observations, it all seemed a bit subdued.



The reasons were many and not all the fault of Jimmy. A show on a Sunday night naturally doesn't seem to have the same buzz or atmosphere about it, a 7:30pm start (we were out at the early time of 9:30) meant a sober crowd, big arenas don't woprk for me in comedy and I was 4 floors up and about as from away from the stage as you could be, there was no warm up act to get the mood going (just a couple of spoof public information films with Jimmy) and, lastly, I am either going deaf or the volume wasn't cranked up at all. It sounded like Jimmy was having a normal chat sitting next to me.

Yes, I really was that far away


Given all that, it was more laughalong rather than laugh out loud. Carr purposely tests the senses and is raw with his material - jokes about the disabled, paedohiles, religion (you name the target and he covered it) - but his delievery style is so measured and gentle, I'm not easily offended but you do relaise it's just humour and a diversion from life itself although his observational humour was excellent.


The set was simple was some one-line routines, reading out his own reviews, surreal comments and jokes about sex, sex and sex ... ooh and sex.


Carr stayed arond for autographs and photographs post-show but, by the time, I'd already got home in my car.



I will see Jimmy again but hope it's louder next time, I get a better seat and it's on a Friday or Staurday night!



No comments: