Friday, January 09, 2009

Official - Rangers man is now a BlueBurke

After a couple of days of advanced speculation and 36 hours after arriving in Cardiff, Chris Burke was officially confirmed as a Bluebird this evening.

The 25 yr old Flying Scotsman wings in with a 2.5 year contract but will be a spectator for tomorrow's home game with Derby County. His wages are high, he was believed to be earning £12,000 weekly at Rangers who are conducting a firesale to raise finance and reduce their outgoings, but it appears the deal was conluded as a free transfer for Cardiff City after Rangers were initially hoping to secure £150,000.

Speaking to Rangers World, the official Rangers website, Burke in a lengthy interview said, "The Championship is a very difficult league and anybody can beat anybody. I'm sure it will be difficult to reach the Premiership but that's my aim, to play in the Premiership. I feel as though that's where they belong and that they are a Premiership club because they have come on in leaps and bounds over the years. They keep progressing and hopefully they can continue to do so.

"If you look at the standard down there, it's a good standard. You see some Championship teams in the cups doing well against the top Premiership teams. It will be difficult but I'm looking forward to it. It's a new challenge for me, I loved my time at Rangers but I felt as though it wasn't progressing the way I wanted, I wasn't playing as much as I would have liked. Like any player, I want to be playing football and back enjoying it again. The only way you can do that is by playing matches and that wasn't happening at Rangers.
"The way forward is to move on and hopefully I can do that at Cardiff. I'm not saying I'm going to walk straight into the team - I'm going to have to fight for my place - and hopefully I can do well there. It's always disappointing with injuries but I'm back now, I'm fit and raring to go and I'm just looking forward to a new chapter in my life."

No comments: