Saturday, August 29, 2009

Adam Matthews The Graduate


One of the huge plusses of Cardiff City's outstanding start to season 2009/10 has been the emergence of teenage defender Adam Matthews.

He served notice with a goalscoring performance in a pre-season friendly against Chasetown but injuries to Kevin McNaughton and Paul Quinn have enabled him to burst onto the scene with a league debut in City's draw at Blackpool, the away win at Plymouth where he also went close to scoring and a superb display in City's supreme demolition of Bristol City.

Rejected by Swansea City's Academy after injury, their loss is City's gain. His rise underlined by a call up to Wales Under 21's.

So what does Matthews think of his meteoric jump into the first team? Talking to WALES ONLINE, he says, "Playing in a team doing well rather than struggling helps, but I didn’t expect to play as well as I have. Now I have to work on keeping that standard up. I’m young and I haven’t set myself a target on appearances this season. Right now, I’m happy to be in the squad and learning from the other lads.”

He is also full of praise for Cardiff-born club talisman Joe Ledley commenting, "All the boys are good to me and helped me get through the early games and the gaffer (Dave Jones) chats to me on a regular basis about how I am doing but Joe has helped me a lot. He talks to me on the pitch and off. He’s been a great help. Joe’s a Cardiff boy and I’d love to follow in his footsteps."
Adam - you're already on the way to doing that. Keep it going son.

No comments: