Sunday, June 08, 2008

DEAN HURLEY R.I.P.

I've been away in Devon this weekend and got a call Friday night that fellow City fan and firend, Peter Hurley had tragically passed away. Spoke to his son, Dean, who was obviously very cut up but wanted people and City fans to know about it. I spoke to Mike Morris and there's a long thread now on the Cardiff City messageboard http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=tree&goto=652619&rid=10&S=7c4be8a02bf74f188f085ac09a96253a#page_top

Knowing Pete, he would be embarrassed by that reaction but loving it too and I know that his family and friends appreciate it.

Pete was one of the very first people from the website I got to know and it turned out I knew him before this website anyway. Until the 'net came along, City fans used to be in cliques and didn't know one another as we do know - everyone seemed to be an 'hiya mate'.

The first ever meeting of listers and messageboarders came before a League Cup away game at Fulham around '97 and there was Pete Hurley, someone I was familair with anyway.

You couldn't fail to notice Pete Hurley in the Canton Stand, or should I say hear him, as he was unbelievably vocal in his support of the team and also the criticsim in those years when City used to frustrate the hell out of us.

We travelled to a few away games together by car and also when I used to run a coach from the Lansdowne before the Rams came into existence.

Pete was very opinionated and passionate about City and that's why I always loved and respected him. Didn't go with the majority view if he felt otherwise and always stood by his opinion although willing to listen to others even with a argument or two (or more!) along the way.

When he lived and worked abroad in Germany and USA, he never stopped contributing to the forums. His passion was always there.Few sing or get more passionate at City away days than Dean, his son, these days. His father will be as proud as anything about that.

So sorry to lose you way too early Pete. RIP.

Dean - you know my thoughts - and support if needed - are with you.

No comments: