Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Joys of Commuting in South Wales

I hate driving and I especially hate driving to work and nothing making me hate driving more than my daily commute from Barry to Newport which is half hour at best for the 20 mile drive. At best is on Sunday, driving in at 6am or home at 9pm! The norm is somewhere around the hour mark but when thre's problems, it can be 3 to 4 hours. I feckin' hate it!

I've given up on the M4 reduced is reduced to 2 lanes, 50 mph and the slowest procession ever between Cortyton and past Cardiff Gate for two and a half years(!) to late 2009. My route is now to Cardiff Bay via back lanes from Barry to Leckwith and through around Southern Way. That's so far worked better and flows apart from serious motorway accidents (a couple this year have seen the motorway closed for a day).

Just as all seemed more settled, along comes the worst yet. A lorry with a crane on top hits a bridge on A48M into Cardiff and apparently drives on trying to get away from it until the driver realised that wasn't possible. The aftermath is Eastern Avenue is shut FOR A WEEK from Llanedyrn to Gabalfa sending all traffic along Southern Way or the M4.

Two nights home so far have averaged a 2 hour journey where you feel like you want to slash your wrists ... and both nights so far I left early to beat the worst of it! I've seen ambulances and police cars with lights and horns blazing stuck.

Oh how I wish it was feasible to commute by train but my offices are the other side of Newport tot he station and the journey would be no quicker.

With the Wales GB rally in Cardiff this weekend and City home on Tuesday, it ain't going to get any better. What a mess and disgrace our roads are.


Echo Story

Another week of road chaos for Cardiffic Wales - United KingdomRoads are expected to be gridlocked as rush hour chaos hits Cardiff for the next seven days while part of the A48 westbound remains closed for repairs to ...

No comments: