Friday, November 09, 2007

Into The Valley - memories of daze at Charlton Athletic

Ah, Football in the 80's
Charlton[s (disused) terrace


It's all doom and gloom at Cardiff City right now but we have a London trip tomorrow, curiously always glamorous to City fans, and it's at first visit to the Valley at Charlton in over 20 years.


Thought I'd share a couple of memories of my previous visits. Nostalgia Freak!


Got fond memories of going there for a season's opening in the early '80's (had to look it up - it was 1983) and we lost 2-0 on a gorgeous day.City had a sh*te side and I wish I could rememeber the name of the local striker we played that day. May have been fresh out of the Welsh League and he looked it too.


"The" sight of course was that bank to on what was the right hand side of the away end, quite possibly the biggest/highest bank/terrace in football anywhere in the world. It was sparesly populated that day but I think the ground held 80,000 in its time and probably took 60,000 on that terrace! Even ski-jumpers would have been sht scared to stand up the top and they must have given out tots of whiskey have way up for anyone going to the back of it.


Sometimes with me, it's not the game but the day that stands out and this one does as our coach spent the whole journey there singing Karma Chameleon by Culture Club!! It must have been just released or # 1 at the time but the boys all loved it - whether into punk, new wave, pop or whatever. Seems surreal now.


The next time was our last visit there in '85. It was on a Tuesday night, Charlton were towards the top, City towards the bottom (much like now then!) and was rearranged after original Saturday date was postponed. City unbelievably thumnped them 4-1, so long ago I can recall Charlton's star man was Robert Lee (later of Newcastle/England fame) and he was a teenager.


I'm sure. News of the World had a big article the weekend after showing how the pools panel got 90% of its predictions wrong and used this result as the prime example as they had, naturally, given a home win for it.


Again, I got memories away from the game and my brother and myself were/still are friends with Paul Parker who was then at Fulham but went onto play for Man U and England and is now a media pundit amonsgt other things.My bro and I travelled up together and went to see Paul and his then wife (originally from Roath, you know!) and spent the day with them. We tried to get Paul to come to the game with us but he didn't want to be spotted and was worried about being a black man in the City end.


Went to the game, I drank, my brother drove. His pride and joy was his converted Mini Clubman with big end, rally bars, rally seats etc - you get the scene. So happy was as he drove awya after a skinful, I told my bro to listen ou for the mother of all farts I was about to let rip. It was a damp squib, a very damp squib as it came with the biggest follow through of all time!


My kid bro went feckin nuts, I was a complete mess.Came home sitting on half a dozn newspapers and the windows open all the way and it stank like nothing.


Of course, after a win like that, City were on the way. Next game was home to Fulham. Paul Parker stayed with us for the weekend after the game and we showed him the delights of Feathers in Barry Island, he pulled too (don't tell his ex tho!) which crowdned a top weekend for him as Fulham done us 2-0.


These are the things I loves with the City.

No comments: