Friday, November 09, 2007

Gulp! I've had a night out in BARRY!

Barry - looks best after dark
but best avoided after dark! :>)


I've only lived here for 5 years but, tonight, for the first time other than a party or similar, I went out in Barry for the first time. Brave boy!

I supposed being a Kaidiff-ite, finding it easy and just as quick to get to Cardiff from where I live and not having any great affinity with, or love for, Barry nightlife, it's never held any interest for me.

However there has been investment in the town. An emerging waterfront area, a painfully long time trying to regenerate the shopping area, a cafe area is starting to emerge in Holton Road and the Braod Street area now sports a couple of decent bars and some good restuarants. It has its hidden treasures.

Enjoyed a couple of quiet drinks and a Chinese but was in and out before the madding crowd turned up and, I think, that's another of my hang ups about the place. It's a town with a village mentality - everyone knows everyone and everyone else's business. Everyone seems to be someone's friend, cousin, ex-lover, knows them. I find it a little bizarre that a lot of Barry folk only seem to go out in Barry and rarely venture beyond but I guess what they like about it is what I don't.

You either love that - or get conditioned to it - or you don't. It's not for me. Give me Canton anyday where you can be yourself, go into Cardiff where you can meet people but then move on, travel where you can be yourself.

I think my 'phobia' comes from living in Rhoose for 15 years - loved it at first, resented it later on for many of the views I hold about Barry.

However, have to say tonight made a pleasant change and I'd do it again ... maybe next year!

No comments: