Tuesday, January 17, 2006

FOOTBALL ECHO R.I.P.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4607366.stm


Contrary to popular belief, it's not the first time that the Football Echo (the pink'un) has ceased production, The Echo pulled the plug on it in the early '90's before rediscovering an appetite but I doubt we'll ever see it again.

This type of paper has had its day without doubt but I do think Western Mail and Echo are tending to overlook its own part in the demise of this publication, it's not insignificant.

Here's what their version of events doesn't tell you;

1. Nearly all its Football Echo City content were re-hashes of what had already been published in The Echo during the week, there was rarely anything new to read, it just said it differently.

2. Its cover price had risen to a ridiculous 50p.

3. The Echo had long ceased advance publicising the Football Echo in the daily paper, something they used to do quite heavily.

4. They stopped selling it around the pubs.

5. They delivered to a quarter or less of newsagents in the past year. I know only two newsagents in Barry who were selling it this year for example.

Goodye Football Echo. At least it signed off in style with a big home win for Cardiff City and a big home stuffing for Cardiff Rugby, I like that.

For me, the writing was on the wall when my weekly column stopped. ;>)

No comments: