Thursday, December 01, 2005

THE TUBES ROCK CARDIFF

25 years I've waited to see The Tubes back in my hometown. It was worth every moment!

Last time, The Tubes played Cardiff it was the start of the 1980's promoting their Remote Control album. I was a skinny kid - it was that long ago! The venue used that night, Sophia Gardens, was demolished by snow not too long afterwards but never did I think I'd have to wait so long to see them here again.

In the past decade, I've gone everywhere to see them - Northampton, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, London to name a few. Whenever they play Bristol, a quarter of the audience are Welsh.

They promised to come back, the reception they got in Wales and the gig itself will go down as my favourite since their heyday. A night I'll long remember.

The venue - The Point - is a new addition to the gig map in Cardiff. A converted church in an area of the city where the old and traditional docks meets the new, vibrant and upmarket Bay - a mile away from the city centre. I think it's the best small hall venue I've ever attended as you're up close, personal and intimate with the group.

The stage, in the old pulpit area, is raised enough from the ground to give everyone a view but segregation between audience and band is no more than the speakers and a small step. You are there with them.I started the night with one of them.

As I got to the venue, Gary Cambra was looking for a restaurant to eat. I directed him to the bayfront where he tucked into a Thai meal.For a gig arranged at less than 3 weeks notice with word-of-mouth publicity, the crowd was near capacity and ready to party and enjoy themselves.

The Tubes came on at 9pm to a raucous reception on a night when they and the audience bonded from start to finish. The set was pretty much the same as on the whole UK Tour but missing were Prairie's Bora 2000 and Sushi Girl, added were an impromptu Jumping Jack Flash with Gary and David on vocals, Matter of Pride was in the encore.

What made it special was the sound and the reaction. They were loud and played brilliantly, overcoming early p.a. problems. The crowd were right up for it and, for me, the audience singing Don't Wait To Wait Anymore with Fee turning the mic on us lives up there with any moment watching them. Tip of my Tongue was never played better and the early songs were adapted in such a way that they still sound fresh, Smoke La Vie En Fumer was a particular hit for me tonight.

The musicianship in the group is brilliant. Roger's guitar work, especially at the end of Don't Want To Wait is breathtaking but so is Gary's when he lets loose. Prairie's stick work and solo is always a highlight for me and even Bill's bass took a star turn pumping out the riff to Smoke.

Of course, part of the Tubes experience is Fee's stageshow and no matter how many times you've seen him do it, you can't stop smiling and enjoying yourself. White Punks on Dope is such an anthem bettered with the show, their cover of Tom Jones' It's Not Unusual in the country it originated was a stand-out moment too completed with knickers being thrown on stage to Fee. And Kat Baillie helps make it more magical too with her 'presence' on stage and vocals on Don't Touch Me There and Prime Time - so fantastic to hear that one in the live show once more.

A special night. The group loved every moment of it, the crowd did too. Two hours of music and performance heaven I can't begin to do justice to it so I hope the pics in my blog help to address that.

Thanks to The Tubes for still doing what they do and so brilliantly too. Long may it conitnue and let's hope they're soon back here. I got a feeling they won't forget Cardiff or Wales next time around!


No comments: