Wednesday, September 12, 2007

EURO 2008 SHOCK: SLOVAKIA 2 WALES 5 (FIVE!)

Ain't it sod's law?

The current stresses of the finance market - no I won't bore you with it - made me shelve plans to be in Bratislava tonight and after last Saturday's feeble showing vs Germany, I felt quite relieved ... although gutted to miss a night or two on the lash n Slovakia.

However I didn't count on work now being so crazy that I would be stuck at work unable to see or listen to the game too. I can't even remember the last time I've not followed a Wales international in some shape or form.

So I jump in my car just after 7 to hear Rob Phillips on Radio Wales creaming as The Mighty Red Dragons had taken a 4-2 lead and, 5 minutes and a couple of minutes later, the icing on the cake as the boys sealed the night with a 5th too! You bloody what!!!??? This, to a team, we lost 5-1 in Cardiff too a few months ago.

So sorry if I can't give my own thoughts as I missed it all ... maybe I should do it more often .. but I'll certainly celebrate it and be thinking of the boys out there - almost 700 apparently who will come back with 700 stories each of their exploits that I'll be gutted to have missed!

Qualification is long gone and has never even been something to consider for a single mment after the first ball of the qualification games was kicked but the boys, amazingly, could yet finish third in the group which may, just may, give us a better chance of a kinder draw for World Cup 2010.

I know, I know, dreams are all we ever have.


But congrats tonight to Toshack, Bellamy and the bioys - they've taken some stick and deservedly too so you have to congratulate them when they do the business. This is a stunning result.


Link to BBC report plus Toshack & Bellamy audio interviews.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6985879.stm

No comments: